GGB GSA Mission Statement
The purpose(s) of this organization shall be:
- To create an association that will allow students of the UCR graduate program in Genetics, Genomics, and Bioinformatics to participate in the administrative affairs of the program;
- To foster an open atmosphere conducive towards the advancement of the student's higher education;
- To provide a forum where members of the organization may voice their opinions and express their views; and
- To hold events that will promote program identity and unity.
Standing GGB GSA Committees
- The GGB Student Mentorship Committee shall be responsible for aiding students new to the GGB program as well as assigning specific GGB students to help mentor and guide the incoming class.
- The GGB Seminar Committee shall be responsible for helping to choose guest speakers for the GGB seminar series, and for assisting the host for each guest speaker on the day of his or her seminar.
- The Student Entertainment Committee shall be responsible for planning social events for the GGB program, as well as the set up and coordination of said events.
- The Annual Graduate Student Research Symposium Committee shall be responsible helping plan the symposium including scheduling and choice of guest speaker (if any).
- The Recruitment Committee shall be responsible for helping to plan and carry out the recruitment day events for visiting applicants.
President: Sarah Bobardt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vice President: Hannah Freund (email@example.com)
GSA Representative: Alejandro Navarro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Secretary: Shiyang He (email@example.com)
Treasurer: Yannan Hu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2017-2018 Committee Members
Recruitment: Chair: Erin Sternburg, Thanin Chantarachot, Stephen Bolaris, Xueqin Lu, Mikkal Blick, Lichao Li, Sawyer Masonjones, Elizabeth Deyett, Leonel Islas, James Randolph, Tiffany Chiu, Jianhai Zhang
Social: Chair: Elizabeth Deyett, Jonathan Deans, Michael Matson, Ruidong Li, Yahui Li, Lichao Li, Jui-Yu Liao, Leonel Islas, Zachary Piserchia, James Randolph, Jerald Chavez, Yuzhu Duan, Jose Martinez Lomeli, Jianhai Zhang.
Symposium: Chair: Amy Boyd, Michael Matson, Thanin Chantarachot, Albert Do, Jui-Yu Liao, Qihua Liang, Tiantian Ye, Jerald Chavez, Tiffany Chiu, Christopher Fiscus, David Hillis, Jose Martinez Lomeli.
Mock Oral: Chair: Stephen Bolaris, Jonathan Deans, Xueqing Lu, Michael Matson, Stephen Bolaris, Thanin Chantarachot, Ruidong Li, Yahui Li, Erin Sternburg, Mikkal Blick, Zhelin Li, Jui-Yu Liao.
Seminar: Chair: Sawyer Masonjones, Xueqing Lu, Albert Do, Zhelin Li, Emre Aksoy, Qihua Liang, Amy Boyd, Yuzhu Duan, Christopher Fiscus, David Hillis.
Mentoring Committee: Chair: Mikkal Blick, Erin Sternburg, Stephen Bolaris
General duties and responsibilities of officers
- Assist with GGB Annual Conferences
- Help recruitment activities for prospective graduate students
- Assist with maintenance of portions of the GGB website, including the maintenance of student web pages and current student photographs
- Participate actively in the University's Graduate Student Association (GSA) and on associated campus committees.
- Maintain liaison with the faculty assisting graduate students with any complaints of a department policy nature that would affect the majority of the graduate students
- Assist Seminar Committee in finding suitable seminar speakers
- Assist the Program Director and faculty with regard to holding annual "discussion & evaluation" sessions